Round, even, medium-sized tomatoes are certainly good: these are the fruits that look best in jars and look attractive on the counter. But every gardener still wants to grow the largest tomatoes on his site, because they are fragrant, juicy and very fleshy - fruits for salads and juices. It is such a large-fruited variety that the Volovye Heart tomato is.
From this article, you can learn about the yield of the Volovye Heart tomato, see a photo of its fruits, read the reviews of those who planted this miracle on their site. It also contains a description of various subspecies of the Volovye Serdt variety, recommendations for growing and caring for plants.
More about the variety
First of all, it is worth noting that the characteristics and description of the Volovye Heart tomato variety differ from the Bull Heart tomato: these are two completely different varieties. Although the fruits of these varieties really have an external similarity and almost the same taste. The main difference between the two types is the height of the bush and the size of the fruits: after all, the Bull Heart is larger in all respects.
Attention! The Volovye Heart tomato has its own benefits, which will be discussed below.
The Volovye Serdt tomato variety was bred in Russia in 2000, at the same time it was entered in the State Register. This tomato is considered late ripening, although some breeders class it as a medium-ripening tomato. Therefore, it is recommended to grow this variety in the southern and central regions; in the North, the Heart is planted only in a greenhouse.
Description of the tomato variety Volovye Heart:
- bushes of an indeterminate type, their height in the greenhouse reaches two meters, in the open field - no more than 170 cm;
- tomatoes ripen in 107-118 days from the moment of germination;
- there are not very many leaves on the bushes, they are of medium size, normal shape;
- the yield of tomatoes in the open field is not very high - up to 7 kg per square meter, in a greenhouse it is realistic to raise this figure to 11 kg;
- the Volovye Serdt variety has a complex resistance to "tomato" diseases, including late blight;
- the tomato responds well to fertilization and regular watering;
- the first flower ovary is usually located above the seventh leaf;
- up to five tomatoes can form in each brush;
- the average fruit weight is 350 grams;
- the lower tomatoes reach 800-1000 grams, the upper ones are smaller - 250-150 grams;
- the shape of the fruit resembles a heart - an elongated ribbed oval;
- the color of the tomatoes is raspberry red;
- the pulp is sugary on a break, tasty, very sweet, aromatic;
- tomatoes are suitable for transportation, since they have a dense peel, their pulp contains a lot of dry substances;
- the harvested crop will not be stored for long, so you need to quickly realize the fruits;
- the root system of this variety is very powerful - the length of the central horse can reach a meter, the lateral roots often branch out 2-2.5 meters from the middle of the bush.
Important! Volovye Heart tomatoes are varietal, not hybrid. Therefore, the gardener will be able to independently collect seeds from his own harvest.
The Volovye Heart variety is considered a salad variety, that is, it is best to eat fresh tomatoes. These tomatoes make delicious purees, pastes and juices. 700 ml of tomato juice comes out of one kilogram of fruit. In general, it will not work to preserve the Volovye Heart tomato, since its size is quite large. But in pickled salads and appetizers, the tomato looks great.
Advantages and disadvantages
The Volovye Heart variety is rather ambiguous: the opinions and reviews of gardeners about this tomato are the most controversial. Therefore, it is worth highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of the Heart.
Among the advantages are:
- the impressive size of the fruits;
- high-end tomato appearance;
- great taste of tomatoes;
- good yield (with sufficient care);
- medium resistance to diseases (which is very important for a late-ripening variety).
There are also cons of a heart-shaped tomato:
- plants need constant and competent care;
- the variety has a long growing season, which is not suitable for all climates;
- for the Ox Heart, the temperature regime is very important - the tomato does not like fluctuations from heat to cold;
- it will not be possible to preserve the crop for a long time - the fruits quickly deteriorate.
Attention! Despite its serious shortcomings, the variety is popular among gardeners. Moreover, folk breeders often use it to breed new varietal and hybrid tomatoes.
Of course, the tomato in question cannot boast as many varieties as its counterpart, the Bull Heart variety (there are pink, striped, and black-fruited tomatoes and many other species). But the Volovy Heart also has a couple of popular varieties:
Tomato Minusinskoe Volovye Heart
Bred by folk breeders. It differs from its predecessor in earlier ripening periods (mid-ripening variety), a slightly reduced fruit weight (ranges from 200 to 400 grams are indicated), and a small number of seeds inside the tomatoes. It is recommended to grow this variety in two or three stems.
Cow's Heart Striped
It is easy to recognize by the appearance of the fruit: the tomatoes are golden-pink, yellow-green stripes are clearly visible on the peel. Tomatoes are smaller than those of the predecessor variety - 150-200 grams, but they are very sweet and tasty. It is recommended to grow this subspecies in greenhouses. The ripening period is average, the bushes are not so high (up to 130 cm).
Attention! The yield of both subspecies is higher than that of the predecessor variety. But the size of the fruits will not be so large (this can be seen in the photo).
To harvest a good harvest of large and beautiful fruits, the gardener will have to work hard - Volovye Heart loves attention and care. In principle, like most large-fruited late-ripening tomatoes, this tomato prefers well-warmed light soil with a sufficient content of trace elements. Do not forget about the indeterminacy of the bush - the tomato will have to be shaped, regularly pinched and controlled the number of ovaries.
For those who decide to have this tomato variety in their garden, it is recommended to do the following:
- Find strong and healthy seedlings on sale or grow yourself. Seeds for seedlings are sown in March - the exact dates depend on the climate in the region and on where the tomatoes will be grown (soil or greenhouse). It is necessary to calculate the planting so that by the time the plants are transferred to a permanent place, they will be from 55 to 65 days.
- First, the seeds can be sown in a common container with small sides. When the tomato has a pair of leaves, they are planted in individual pots.
- Before transplanting into the ground, the plants are hardened by taking them out into the street or onto a balcony with open windows.
- Like all indeterminants, the Heart takes up a lot of space in the greenhouse and in the garden. To ensure freedom for the bushes, seedlings are planted according to the 50x70 scheme. Do not bury the roots of tomatoes deeper than 20 cm - they do not like the cold. The soil temperature at this depth should be more than eight degrees.
- Immediately you need to take care of the supports for the tomato. Trellises are most suitable, but you can also build supports from wooden pegs.
- It is recommended to form a bush in one or two stems. The second stem is released from the stepson, which is located just above the first ovary.
- All other stepsons should be removed regularly. Excess ovaries also need to be cut off - there should be no more than 6-8 fruit brushes on one bush. If you do not thin out the brushes, tomatoes will grow small and tasteless.
- You need to feed tomatoes 3-4 times over the summer. For these purposes, mineral and organic fertilizers are used. Potassium-phosphorus compositions work well, a small amount of nitrogenous dressings is permissible.
- Water the Heart often and abundantly (every three days) - this tomato loves water. In order not to put the bushes at risk of infection, water is used warm, the soil is mulched, and the lower leaves of tomatoes are cut off to improve air circulation.
- Although the variety is considered resistant, the bushes still need to be processed in order to prevent diseases. If there are no visible signs of infection, Bordeaux liquid or any chemical agent is used. You need to process the bushes before they start flowering.
Advice! You need to pick ripe fruits on time. These tomatoes are not prone to cracking, but they heavily weigh the bush, which can lead to it breaking off.
Review of the gardener
Victor Nikolaevich, Syzran
The seeds with the name "Volovye Heart" were bought by me a long time ago, but I got to them only this year. Sowed for seedlings in early March, planted in a greenhouse in early May (all my tomatoes grow in a greenhouse). The bushes grew up to one and a half meters, I formed them into two stems. I did not break off the ovaries, there were not many of them - 5-6 per bush. Perhaps he overdid it with fertilizers, since the tomatoes themselves were not very large - up to 350 grams are the largest. But their taste turned out to be wonderful! The pulp is sugar, there are few seeds, very juicy and aromatic. The shape of the tomatoes really resembled a heart. I collected the seeds from my harvest, in a year I will grow the Heart again.
The Volovye Heart tomato is not suitable for all gardeners: this tomato needs a warm climate or a greenhouse, it needs nutritious soil and space, the farmer needs to know how to deal with bushes that have an unlimited growth point. But in return for all its "whims" the tomato will present the gardener with a generous harvest of some of the largest and most delicious fruits. So it might be worth the work!