Experienced flower growers know that only a well-groomed flower garden will look beautiful and tidy. To do this, every year you need to clean the site. Many people mistakenly believe that climbing roses do not need pruning. But without it, after a few years, you will not be able to approach it at all. Uncut flowers will be difficult to cover for the winter. Therefore, spring pruning is not only desirable but necessary.
Also, pruning climbing roses in the spring will help shape the bush in the right way so that it does not spread over neighboring plants and buildings. This pruning will keep your plants decorative for years to come. But to do it properly, you need to follow some rules. In this article, we will look at how to properly prune climbing roses.
The importance of pruning
Roses are one of the most demanding flowers to care for. It is not enough just to plant these bushes on your site. To make them bloom well, you will have to spend a lot of time. Spring pruning is a major part of climbing climbing roses.
By pruning, we not only rid the plant of dry and damaged shoots, but also form a bush. Pruned roses grow faster and have a neat appearance. You can get creative and give the bush the desired shape. In any case, thanks to pruning, not chaotic shrubs will grow on your site, but lush and neat plants.
Basic rules for spring pruning
Whatever varieties you grow, it is important to remember the following rules:
- Spring, summer and autumn pruning should be done throughout the year. Spring pruning is most important. As soon as the frost begins to recede, you should remove the shelter and get to work. It is important that there is no rain at this time. Pruning of bushes begins from the second year, only planted shrubs do not need it.
- Prepare all the necessary tools. Thin shoots can be trimmed with a pruner, and dense branches with a hacksaw. The tool must be sharp, this is the only way to get a perfectly smooth cut. Torn cuts can threaten the appearance of various diseases.
- Don't underestimate the importance of tool handling. Disinfection will prevent the plant from introducing any fungi. For these purposes, ordinary potassium permanganate is perfect. The solution for processing instruments must be concentrated.
- After pruning, you need to process all the cuts with garden varnish or Novikov's liquid. The bushes themselves are sprayed with a solution of 1% copper sulfate. 10 liters of water will require 100 grams of vitriol.
The main stages of pruning climbing roses:
- the main stem on the bush is cut to the level of healthy tissues;
- 1 cm recede from the first formed kidney;
- the cut must be made at an angle;
- shoots from the rhizome must also be cut off. To do this, you need to slightly dig out the root in the place where it grows, and cut off at the base.
Important! Wild growth usually only grows in grafted varieties. It is necessary to remove such shoots as they appear, until they have grown strongly.
Types of pruning climbing roses
When growing climbing roses, it is very important to prune every season. Such bushes grow very rapidly. Having missed only one year, the plant can permanently lose its decorative properties. It is very important not only to trim, but also to do it right. Incorrect pruning can damage flowers irreparably. There are several ways to prune roses. Now we will see which ones are suitable for climbing varieties.
High and low pruning is best for climbing bushes. With these methods, only small parts of the branches are cut. When the rose grows very rapidly, medium pruning is carried out. For this, the branches are cut to 6 or 7 buds. Thanks to this method, the plant will bloom much earlier.
For roses such as polyanthus, floribunda and hybrid tea, heavy pruning is done. In this case, no more than four buds are left on the branch. This method is perfect for planting young seedlings, as well as to rejuvenate an old bush.
Methods for pruning climbing roses
We figured out the types of trimming, now we go directly to the process itself. There are several purposes for which roses are pruned. How this should be done directly depends on this. Let's briefly analyze each of the methods:
- Preventive pruning. This procedure is carried out in the spring, as soon as the buds begin to swell. Dead and infected branches are removed from the bush. After that, all shoots are cut to the first swollen bud. The next step is pruning unripe branches.
- Thinning. To make the climbing bush look aesthetically pleasing, shape it gently. For this, all lateral shoots that grow inside the bush are cut off. Weak and branching stems must also be removed. Old branches, as well as wild growth, only interfere with growth and flowering. So we get rid of them too.
- Anti-aging cleaning. This procedure is suitable for plants over 3 years old. To clean the bush, all branches that look like wood are cut. You need to cut them off at a height of about 30 cm from the root system of the bush. This height will allow the development of young shoots that will soon appear.
Spring pruning is the most important rose maintenance procedure. The best time to work is March or April. If spring is later in your area, then you should postpone pruning. You don't need to start pruning as soon as the snow has melted. By the time of cleaning, it should already be clear from the bush which branches are healthy and which are not.
Of course, each variety has its own characteristics, and this should be the starting point for pruning. But all of the above principles are suitable for pruning bush roses in general. Let's look at the features of pruning some types of shrubs.
Hybrid tea varieties form flowers on young shoots that have just appeared this year. Therefore, the plant must be cut at a level of 26 cm from the base of the bush. 5 buds are left on the branches themselves.
Advice! When planting a young seedling, the plant should be pruned at a height of about 16 cm from the base, leaving only 4 or 5 buds.
Climbing roses should be cut immediately after the shelter has been removed. At the same time, all weak and damaged branches are cut off. It happens that shoots that did not have time to form in the fall are damaged under winter shelter. To prevent this from happening, buy varieties with flexible branches. In warmer climates, these flowers are more robust and hardy. These flowers also require thinning pruning to form a shrub.
Don't underestimate the importance of pruning climbing roses. This procedure will help to achieve abundant flowering and rapid growth. If you want your roses to delight you and your guests with blooming for years to come, don't miss this important event. Without such care, the plant may simply die or turn into a regular rosehip.
Thanks to this seasonal event, the flowering process can be regulated. Most of all, varieties that bloom several times per season need such cleaning. After the first flowering, dried inflorescences form on the bush, which spoil the decorative appearance of the rose.
To clean the bush, the upper parts of the shoots are cut off. The cut is made above the first developed bud, leaving at least 2 or 3 leaves on the stem. Such cleaning will help the bush to prepare for the next flowering, and also save the energy that it would have spent on the formation of fruits.
Additionally, too thickened shoots are trimmed, which are directed inside the bush. Thus, the plant is formed, and will have a neater and more beautiful appearance.
Important! Plants that are grown for seed are not pruned in summer.
Whatever climbing varieties you grow, be it hybrid tea, remontant roses or floribunda, they all need pruning. In this article, you were able to see in detail how to prune a climbing rose. Remember that the most important thing to do with these flowers is pruning the rose in the spring. At this time, it is necessary to remove all damaged and dried branches from it, which only interfere with the growth and flowering process. Also, as needed, you need to carry out summer and autumn pruning. Only by following all these rules, you can achieve excellent results, and grow the most gorgeous flowers on your site. In the video below, you can clearly see how to do this correctly.