Frozen strawberry jam is attractive because the integrity of the berries is not important in it. Pieces of fruit are allowed in the finished product, transparent syrup is not required. For cooking, you can use whole strawberries or cut them into pieces of any size.
Selection and preparation of ingredients
For jam, you can use frozen strawberries, harvested or purchased from the store. The first option is attractive because it is reliably known where the berries are collected, how they are washed and sorted. If you buy them in a store, then the following points are important:
- Packing or a product by weight. Freezing in packages is often more expensive than raw materials sold in bulk, but kept clean. Dust, other people's hair and other unwanted elements get on the berries in open trays.
- When buying a packaged product, you need to feel the packaging. If the berries are in one coma, or there is a lot of snow, then the raw materials are of poor quality, they were not properly prepared or stored incorrectly.
- If the preparation method is indicated on the packaging, you must choose shock freezing. It retains more valuable elements.
- It is recommended to place the purchased product in a thermal bag (bag), if you do not plan to use it immediately upon arrival home.
If, according to the recipe, strawberries need to be thawed, then this must be done in a natural way. To speed up the process, you cannot use a microwave oven, blanching, soaking in warm water and other interventions.
How to make frozen strawberry jam
Making jam from frozen strawberries is easy, the recipe includes only three ingredients:
- 0.25 kg of frozen fruits;
- 0.2 kg of sugar;
- 4 tbsp. l. water.
For this recipe, it is important to defrost the strawberries for jam. To do this, put the required amount of berries in a bowl and leave for a while. The cooking algorithm is simple:
- Take a container with a thick bottom, pour water.
- Put on fire.
- Add sugar, stir.
- When the water boils, add the berries.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, not forgetting to stir.
The cooking time can be increased - the thickness of the strawberry jam depends on the cooking duration
Strawberry jam can be made without water and made less sweet, but then it is allowed to store it for no more than two weeks. For 0.5 kg of berries, you need to take 3 tbsp. Sahara.
Algorithm of actions:
- Place the frozen product in a colander and let it thaw completely naturally. The dripping juice is not needed for jam, but it can be used for other purposes.
- Transfer defrosted strawberries to a saucepan with maximum diameter, add sugar and mash with clean hands.
- Bring the sugar and strawberry mass to a boil over medium heat, reduce the temperature to a minimum, cook for about half an hour.
- During cooking, do not forget about stirring and skim off the foam. If it is not removed, the shelf life of the final product will be reduced.
The finished jam must be immediately transferred to a glass container with a sealed lid. It is better to sterilize both it and the jar in advance.
Strawberry jam for frozen strawberry cake has a different recipe. For him you need:
- 0.35 kg of frozen berries;
- ½ cup granulated sugar;
- ½-1 tsp lemon juice;
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
Defrost strawberries before cooking. The process does not have to be completed.
- Puree the berries with a blender.
- Place the resulting mixture in a container with a thick bottom.
- Add granulated sugar and starch immediately.
- Heat the mass over medium heat, stirring with a spoon or silicone spatula.
- Add lemon juice immediately after boiling.
- Continue heating without forgetting to stir.
- After three minutes, pour the jam into another container, leave to cool.
- Cover the container with the finished mass with cling film, put in the refrigerator for an hour.
The finished product can be coated with cake cakes, used as a filling for baskets, muffins.
Optionally add vanilla, Amaretto or rum to the cake jam
How to make frozen strawberry jam in a bread maker
In addition to flour products, you can cook a lot of other dishes in a bread maker. These include frozen strawberry jam, the recipe with a photo of which is simple to execute.
If the berries are large, then after thawing they can be arbitrarily cut
- For 1 kg of berries, take half as much granulated sugar and 3.5 tbsp. a gelling product with pectin (usually Zhelfix).
- Cover frozen fruits with sugar, leave until it dissolves.
- Transfer the strawberries to the bowl of the appliance.
- Add sugar and gelling agent.
- Switch on the Jam program. The name of the mode may differ, it all depends on the manufacturer of the bread machine.
- While the cooking process is in progress, sterilize the jars with lids.
- Spread the jam into prepared containers, roll up.
Important! The curled cans must be placed with the lids down and wrapped. This is done to complete the sterilization process and provide the fullest possible flavor and aroma.
Terms and conditions of storage
Frozen strawberry jam should be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It must be thoroughly washed, preferably sterilized. In such conditions, the product is usable within 1-2 months. This period may vary depending on the amount of added sugar, other preservatives - citrus juice, cranberry, red currant, pomegranate, citric acid.
If you put frozen strawberry jam in sterilized jars and roll up, then you can store it for up to two years. The place for it needs to be chosen dry, dark and cool. It is important that there are no temperature drops, freezing of the walls of the room.
Jam from frozen strawberries turns out to be no less tasty and aromatic than from natural berries. It is important to choose the right product and follow the recipe. You can prepare a small amount of jam for food or prepare it for future use in sterilized jars.